- On the web, if you should be within a few months of age 62 or older, or
- By calling our national toll-free service at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visiting your neighborhood Social protection workplace. A scheduled appointment is not needed, but it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply if you call ahead and schedule one.
It is possible to help when you’re willing to:
- Offer any required papers; and
- Answer the questions down the page.
Documents you might have to offer
We may request you to offer papers to demonstrate you are qualified, such as for example:
- Birth certificate or other evidence of delivery;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful status that is alien you’re perhaps not created in america More Info;
- U.S. armed forces discharge paper(s) in the event that you had army service before 1968;
- W-2 kinds(s) and/or self-employment taxation statements for a year ago.
- Last breakup decree, if using as a divorced partner; and
- Marriage certificate.
We accept photocopies of W-2 kinds, self-employment taxation statements or medical documents, but we should understand initial of many other papers, such as for instance your delivery certification. (We are going to get back them for your requirements.)
Try not to postpone trying to get advantages as you don’t have most of the papers. We will help you to get them.
That which we will ask you
- Your title, sex and Social Security quantity;
- Your title at delivery (if various);
- Your date of delivery and put of delivery (State or foreign country);
- Whether a public or religious record ended up being made from your delivery before age 5;
- Your citizenship status;
- Whether you or someone else has ever filed for Social safety advantages, Medicare or Supplemental Security money for you (if that’s the case, chaturbayr we’re going to additionally request information about whose Social protection record you used);
- Whether you’ve got utilized virtually any Social Security quantity;
- Whether you became struggling to work due to conditions, accidents or conditions at any time in the previous 14 months. If “Yes,” we will additionally ask the date you became struggling to work;
- Whether you had been ever in the active army solution before 1968 and, in that case, the times of solution and whether you’ve got ever been entitled to be given a month-to-month take advantage of an armed forces or Federal civilian agency;
- Whether you or your partner have actually ever struggled to obtain the railroad industry;
- Whether you’ve got received Social protection credits under a different country’s social protection system;
- Whether you qualified for or expect you’ll be given a retirement or annuity centered on your very own employment with all the government associated with united states of america or one of the States or regional subdivisions;
- Whether you’re presently hitched and, if that’s the case, your better half’s name, date of delivery (or age) and Social protection quantity (if understood).
- The names, dates of delivery (or age) and Social safety figures (if understood) of every former partners;
- The times and places of every of the marriages and, for marriages which have ended, exactly exactly exactly how as soon as they finished;
- The names of any unmarried young ones under age 18, age 18-19 plus in primary or additional college, or disabled before age 22;
- The name(s) of one’s employer(s) and/or information regarding your self-employment therefore the level of your investment returns with this 12 months, a year ago and the following year;
- Whether we might speak to your companies for wage information;
- The thirty days you need your advantages to begin; and
- Whether you want to enroll in Medical Insurance (Part B of Medicare) if you are within 3 months of age 65,.
With respect to the given information you offer, we possibly may have to ask other concerns.
It’s also advisable to get checkbook or other papers that demonstrate your bank account quantity at a bank, credit union or other standard bank so you are able to subscribe to Direct Deposit, and prevent worries about missing or taken checks and mail delays.